Our Babboe Cargo bikes are made for harsh snowy conditions of European winters. But while Melbourne’s weather is much milder than what the bikes can handle, it doesn’t mean that you don’t have to prep your bike for the upcoming winter months.
The steps and guides below will help prevent accidents and damage to your bike. Some of these are universal to all bike riders, so even if you don’t have a Babboe bike, please keep reading.
- Lower the height of your saddle: When you lower the height of the saddle, it means that your feet are now closer to the ground when you’re cycling. Yes being correctly aligned while riding is important. But in this case lowering your seat is about safety. In case you slip or slide, it will be easier to plant your feet on the ground and create more control and more stopping power. In Melbourne’s rainy winters, it pays to wear good, waterproof shoes with plenty of grip.
- Check your tyre treads. Normally the advice for cyclists riding in wet weather is to reduce the pressure in their tyres. However, Babboe bikes are already equipped with wide tires to provide extra grip while cycling. What you do have to do, is to check the condition of your tyres and your treads to make sure they’re suited for wet weather.
- Warm clothing: Keep a spare jumper or raincoat in the cargo section of your bike during the winter months. Not only will you not have to remember pack clothing, you won’t get caught out by Melbourne’s roulette wheel of seasons.
- Stand out: High vis is your friend on foggy and rainy days. And make sure your high visibility gear has that reflective strip. Also, make sure your lights are fully charged and turn them on even during the day.
- Clean more often: Rain can introduce grime and grit into the componentry of the bicycle. So it’s important to hose off your bike if you’re had a particularly wet couple of commutes. Using a water blaster isn’t recommended as you could drive grit further into the bearings and crank cases.
- Keep it smooth. Gears, brakes and any other moving componentry will need additional lube during the colder months. Weather it’s lubricating spray or grease, keeping the bike well lubed means your trips are going to be smooth 😉.
- Electric bikes: Batteries discharge faster in lower temperatures so it’s important to check the battery level before you head out. When not in use it’s important to keep the bike in a warm dry environment and charge the battery. Most chargers have a trickle feature where they stop charging the battery when it’s cold, but keep supplying a small charge to keep the battery topped up. It’s also important to check any and all electrical connections from the motor to the battery to the throttle to make sure that nothing is damaged and no water is leaking in.
- Pay extra attention: All cyclists know that sharing the road with cars is risky. But when it’s cold and wet, it’s even more important to pay attention to what is going around you while you cycle. Aggressive or inattentive drivers, potholes, puddles and tram tracks are all hazards that need attention.
- Plan your ride: Rain gear, cargo covers, rain guards, umbrellas and day lights are just some of the things you need to make sure you have on your when ride in the cold and rain. It’s important that you take time to plan out your ride before you step out the door.
- Trust: Trust yourself and your bicycle. Yes, cargo bikes are bigger and heavier than road bikes. But you need to trust yourself and your own cycling skills. If you’re not yet confident on your cargo bike, then put a reasonably heavy load on your bike’s cargo carrier. The extra weight will ensure more grip and stability. But at the end of the day your faith in your skills will see you through.
Got any specific questions about preparing your bike for winter? Give us a call or pop into our store.
Check out the Babboe bike range below.
Babboe Curve – Bafang Electric$6,395.00 Read more
Babboe Dog Electric Cargo Bike$5,199.00 Read more
Babboe Dog Cargo Bike$3,409.00 Read more
Babboe Mini Cargo Bike$2,995.00 Read more
Babboe Transporter Electric Cargo Bike$4,999.00 Read more
Babboe Transporter Cargo Bike$3,999.00 Read more
Babboe Mini Electric Cargo Bike$4,795.00 Read more
Babboe Curve Cargo Bike$4,250.00 Read more
Babboe Curve Electric Cargo Bike$5,995.00 Read more
Babboe City Cargo Bike$3,199.00 Read more
Babboe Big Electric Cargo Bike$4,899.00 Read more
Babboe Big Cargo Bike$3,199.00 Read more